Research reveals the sugar roulette consumers are playing when buying flavoured gins, with some major brands containing zero sugar while others contain up to 15 teaspoons.
- Greenall’s Wild Berry Gin and BLOOM Jasmine& Rose contain zero sugar, while some other leading flavoured gin brands contain up to 90g of sugar per litre.
- Research shows that a third of consumers aren’t aware that some flavoured gins contain sugar.
- Unlike soft drinks producers, alcohol companies aren’t required by law to list sugar content on bottles, meaning consumers can’t tell whether a bottle contains sugar at the point of purchase.
- Over three quarters of consumers (77%) believe sugar content should be stated on bottles of flavoured gins.
Master Distiller, Joanne Moore – the guardian of the original Greenall’s recipe and creator of BLOOM Jasmine & Rose and Greenall’s Wild Berry – comments; “We don’t use sugar in any of our Greenall’s gins[] as I prefer to allow the botanical flavours to come through and provide a natural taste and sweetness that complements the juniper character. With our Wild Berry flavoured gin, the sweetness comes from the natural berry flavours infused with the gin, which is our Greenall’s Original London Dry. We work hard to balance the botanicals and natural flavours to create a smooth taste, so we don’t need sugar to mimic smoothness or mouthfeel.”
ZERO SUGAR – REAL FRUIT: GREENALL’S WILD BERRY PINK GIN:
A pioneer in flavoured gin, Greenall’s launched Wild Berry Pink Gin in 2014. The gin is made by distilling raspberries and blackberries with more traditional Greenall’s Gin botanicals. Greenall’s Wild Berry Pink Gin contains zero sugar, unlike some leading flavoured gin brands which contain up to 90g of sugar per litre.
Signature serve: Greenall’s Wild Berry Pink Gin is best enjoyed with premium tonic water and a mint and raspberry garnish.
- Nose: Subtle red fruit balanced with rounded juniper notes and fresh citrus flavours.
- Taste: Silky smooth opening that develops into rich camphor and citrus taste with an underlying fruity touch.
- Finish: Medium length with a delicate sweetness.
Greenall’s Wild Berry Gin is available at all major retailers & wholesales in South Africa at RRSP – R189-00
SUGAR? NO THANKS, I AM SWEET ENOUGH: BLOOM JASMINE & ROSE
BLOOM Jasmine & Rose Gin combines BLOOM’s classic London Dry Gin with an infusion of Moroccan rose petals and East Asian jasmine flowers to create a beautifully floral, sugar-free pink gin with a rich complexity of flavour. BLOOM Jasmine & Rose doesn’t have a fruity flavour so it’s quite unusual, plus it’s sugar-free!
- Aroma: Distinctive aromas of jasmine flowers and rose petals, combining to create a beautifully floral and earthy fragrance.
- Taste: Smooth and sophisticated with a touch of sweetness, complemented by floral notes that add a rich complexity, elevating BLOOM Jasmine & Rose above other pink gin.
- Signature serve: Serve BLOOM Jasmine & Rose Gin over ice, topped with a premium tonic water and garnished with fresh blackberries and mint.
BLOOM Jasmine & Rose is available at major wholesalers & retailers nationwide at R529-00