Turbine Art Fair (TAF) is a unique South African art fair that brings together galleries, artists and curators from around the country to showcase and sell contemporary art. Founded in 2013 by The Forum Company, TAF was the first accessible and affordable South African art fair aimed at small scale and emerging galleries as well as emerging artists and collectors, working toward growing the market for South African Contemporary art.
We are delighted to announce the 9th edition of Turbine Art Fair – TAF ARCADE, a new hybrid fair of online viewing rooms and exhibition space at 10 Fricker Road Illovo from 9-12 September 2021. A new way to experience and relish in art and culture during the pandemic.
“Our vision for TAF has always been to develop young artists and grow the market for African art as well as elevate art collecting across a wider market. With Covid bringing our world to a standstill, we believe that it is imperative that we continue to support and champion emerging artists and continue the conversations around art, collecting and keeping the art ecosystem engaged for its survival and growth” say Glynis Hyslop, Founder of Turbine Art Fair.
The 2021 programme is themed Evergreen (having an enduring freshness/ retaining freshness) will showcase a selection of art exhibitions by South African and Southern African galleries, collectives, art dealers, creative project spaces, designers as well as specially curated exhibitions.
“We are delighted to welcome back many of our longstanding galleries who have supported us throughout the years as well as a host of new and exciting ones into the mix this year. With the help of our esteemed selection panel, we believe that we have a really stellar line-up for visitors to TAF both virtually and in person. There is really something for everyone” adds Hyslop.
Since its inception, TAF has always prided itself on innovative and diverse projects and 2021 is no exception and includes the newly re-launched TAF Unearthed Mentorship, Off the Grid, Sculpt, SUBLIME, The Graduate Show & TAF Talks.
Dates: 9 – 12 September 2021
Venue: 10 Fricker Rd Illovo, JHB
Tickets: R150 to be purchased online
For more info: www.turbineartfair.co.za
- TAF Unearthed: TAF Unearthed, a creative mentorship programme. Formerly known as the annual Fresh Produce & Talent Unlocked artist mentorship programme, TAF has enhanced and innovated the structure of its mentorship to address the needs of artists and prepare and propel them through uncertainty. The 2021 artists will be mentored by Nkhensani Rihlampfu and Thembi Matroshe. The group exhibition will be curated by Thembi Matroshe. Selected artists are: Angel Valerio, Ayesha Mukadam, Fumani Khumalo, Imaan Latif, Isabeau Joubert, James Thomas, Jennifer Zaharieva, Navel Seakamela, Sizani Baloyi & Tshepo Moloi.
- TAF Off the Grid: Curated by Karel Nel, Off the Grid is a new feature exhibition in the TAF Special Projects programme which will highlight 4 mid-career South African artists. Each artist will present a capsule solo exhibition of their work at the fair. Aimed at supporting the careers of artists, this exhibition provides an opportunity to highlight artists outside of the main gallery circuit, to re-introduce them to the market and give them a platform to sustain their practice.
- SCULPT: an exhibition showcasing a selection of contemporary site-specific sculptural works by artists from Southern Africa, from TAF’s exhibitor list and artists not represented by galleries.
- SUBLIME – Immersive Multimedia Experiences: Inspired by PACE Gallery’s SUPERBLUE projects, TAF will showcase one immersive multimedia art installation to provide one of a kind bold, impactful and inspiring art experiences. TAF aims to provide South African artists an opportunity to push the boundaries of their practice by creating an immersive art experience never before experienced in SA and change the way people understand and engage with art.
- The Graduate Show: The Graduate Show is an exhibition of a selection of exceptional art students currently in their 4th/ final year visual art studies or graduating master students. The 2021 Graduate Show will be curated by Simangaliso Sibiya and Mentored by Tammy Langtry.