On November 3rd, after a 6-month delay due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, The Hospitality Counsel hosted their annual Luxe Restaurant Awards in collaboration with The House of BNG at the spectacular Rockstar Penthouse within the Houghton Hotel, celebrating the finest contributions to the South African restaurant sector.
More than 100 nominees were shortlisted for the prestigious awards ceremony, with categories ranging from the best fine dining restaurants to the best burger joints in South Africa.
The winners were announced to an intimate audience of 75 leading industry figures – including Chantel Dartnall of Restaurant Mosaic, winning both Chef and Restaurant of the Year. As well as Lorna Maseko, who was voted as South Africa’s Culinary Icon for the year of 2020.
Chad Fourie, Managing Director of The Hospitality Counsel, said: Our judges have been greatly impressed by the exceptional quality of nominees, and those who are on the shortlist know they have reached a very high standard.
The Winners of the Awards are as follows:
- Restaurant of The Year: Restaurant Mosaic
- Chef of The Year: Chantel Dartnall
- New Restaurant of The Year: Aurum
- Style Award: Ethos
- Icon Award: Lorna Maseko
- Culinary Media Personality of The Year: Chef Nti
- Culinary Innovation Award: Gate
- Culinary Rising Star: The Lazy Makoti
- Lifetime Achievement Award: David Higgs
- African Restaurant of The Year: Taste Kitchen
- Burger Joint of The Year: Buns Out
- Café of The Year: Tin Roof Café
- Coffee Shop of The Year
- Vintage Coffee
- Country Restaurant of The Year: Almost Orange
- Fine Dining Restaurant of The Year: La Colombe
- Food Truck of The Year: The Filthy Moustache
- Service Excellence Award: Marble
- Sustainability Award: Grei
- Wine Service Award: Moses Magwaza
- Wine List of The Year: Restaurant Mosaic
For more information and pictures from the event visit The Hospitality Counsel’s Facebook or Instagram page:@hospitalitycounsel.